Sunday, October 12, 2008

apples apples everywhere

DSC03189

A few weekends ago, my roommate and I went apple picking ($5 a bag...what a bargain!).  We have wayyyy too many apples to know what to do with so we've both been baking like crazy.  My favorite snack lately has been Baked Apples, which is super easy and makes the apartment smell absolutely amazing.  I like to bake it in a toaster oven, since it's faster and uses less electricity (woo bills!..):

DSC03182

Baked Apples

1-2 apples

cinnamon sugar

nutmeg

pumpkin pie spice

few dabs of butter

 

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 F.

Slice the apple(s) in half and cut out the core, leaving the rest of the apple intact. Cut slits in the flesh of the apple so that all of the spices and butter can melt into the apple.  Sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar, pumpkin spice, then nutmeg.  Cut the butter into small pieces and dot it onto the apple halves.  Bake for 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and bubbling.

 

DSC03196

DSC03433_exposure 

I also made a pie the other day, I'm not actually sure if there's any left but it was very good.  I usually use this Brown Butter Creamy Apple Pie recipe, but I wanted to try something different this time, so I found this Caramel Apple Pie recipe instead.  It's definitely worth a try if you're looking for an apple pie recipe!

DSC03438_exposure

Other bloggers talking about apples right now:

Posie Gets Cozy (Sour Cream Apple Pie - definitely trying this one next time!)

Smitten Kitchen (Mom's Apple Cake)

Sweet Potatoe (Vegan Apple Pie, yum)

Simply Recipes (Applesauce)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

ohhhh my gosh natalie. That pie sounds amazinggg. And I am definitely trying that baked apple thing, I've never tried one! Mike and I went apple picking last year and we didn't even bake anything, half of them ended up going bad and the dog also ate a bunch haha. This year I must just buckle down and make a pie or apple crisp. mmmm :-D

Natalie said...

oooh do ittt! :D Crisps are so good. I have a really good recipe for Apple/Pear/Cranberry crisp, it's not only amazing, but is super easy and holds up really well even with substitutions (the first time I made it, I didn't have enough pears, and used instant oatmeal packets on top, lol).

Mom said...

Those apples were great-thanks for sharing. I LOVE apple pie and the apple crumb thing you made at home was fabulous!

Mom