Sunday, August 8, 2010

rotw: easy blender gazpacho

gazpacho

Yum yum. I’ve been on a raw-food kick, about 70/30 raw food to not the last few weeks. I’m working on a post about that, actually!

Anyway, ever since I got a fantastic blender from Macy’s, I’ve been fixing smoothies every morning for breakfast. All sorts of delicious combos of raw fruit + almond milk. But until now I’ve limited the blender to only smoothie production…what a waste!

All of a sudden I craved gazpacho the other day. Perfect! No cooking involved, minimal ingredients, super easy preparation (just blend it all and go). And healthy to boot!

After much searching online and through my notes from Spain (totally disorganized, surprise surprise) I managed to find a really amazing recipe. I’ve modified it a bit to be more friendly towards what I had at the time and I must say, it’s delicious and SUPER easy. Give it a go!

The Gazpacho Variations from the LA Times

Andalusian Garden Gazpacho adapted from the LA Times

makes about 2 servings

Note: The gazpacho should be the consistency of light cream. If it is to be served for sipping, thin with additional water.

1 slice bread, crusts removed
1/2 cup cold water, plus extra to soak the bread, divided 
2-3 tomatoes or several cherry tomatoes (1/2 container or about 1.5 cups) 
1/2 clove garlic minced
Small pieces of green bell pepper 
A few squirts of fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 small white onion, finely chopped

1. Break the crustless bread into chunks and soak it in water & about 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar to cover until softened.

2. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces (for cherry tomatoes, just cut in half).

3. Add all ingredients including bread to blender. Blend until smooth. If there is trouble blending (mixture is too thick/not wet) add a bit more olive oil. If the mixture looks too thin, you can leave it be or add a few more tomato pieces.

Serve and enjoy! Told you it was easy. :)

No comments: