Sunday, July 18, 2010

Goals for the Week

Well, since I don’t have a recipe of the week post ready yet, I figured I’d give myself something else to do: goals for the week. Sunday nights are generally pretty awesome/depressing for me for a number of reasons – I love the feeling of finishing up a good weekend and getting ready to face something new, but I’m never ready for a new week to begin! It always feels like I still need some time to relax and rejuvenate…and most of all, plan for the coming madness of the work week.

So with that in mind, I’m trying a new series where I work on productivity, goal-setting, organization, and all of the goodness that a Sunday should entail. I’m planning to post some awesome links and resources for myself and everyone reading this, and hoping that this and my weekly goals will give me a decent list of things to focus on and accomplish this week.

My goals are all pretty personal rather than work-related, for several reasons. My job is pretty awesome (well, jobs really) BUT it’s really based around working with day-to-day variances rather than weekly goals. I’m also going to be working a lot less during the school year with this job, with different responsibilities (summer program marketing rather than planning and execution). And most of all, I just really need to focus in on my own life and its workflow.

IMG_1391Screw productivity. 

This week the focuses will be lingering things I need to take care of, and establishing new routines.

GOALS FOR THE WEEK of 7/18:

  • Call my credit card company and get a new card. I’ve been needing to do this for awhile; I need to settle a dispute with a company in Spain and I’ve been avoiding this because I know it’ll be a long call. I just need to get it over with already!
  • Cash my workshop paycheck. I’m always hard-pressed in finding time to go to the bank and end up putting it off for weeks. Trying to nip that in the bud!
  • Go grocery shopping and prepare lunch for the week.
  • Go to the gym 3 times this week. I really need to get into this habit. I’m ok with going on walks after work, but I need to add in a more intense workout to my routine.
  • Practice yoga every day. I was doing this for about 2 weeks in the end of June and I felt FANTASTIC – just doing a few sun salutations in the morning makes such a difference. But then, just like every other routine I tend to try to start, I stopped.
  • Take a vitamin every day. Have tea every day. Both are good for me. I have an excess of both. Need to use them and benefit!
  • Lastly…clean out my inbox and tabs. My reading list in Chrome has grown to incomprehensible sizes…same with my inbox. I really want to work on implementing a system that works and manage everything as it comes, rather than let it build up and deal with it later. This will be just the first of many steps I need to take!

HELPFUL LINKS:

  • Smart Wallpapers for High Productivity via Lifehacker. Love the dual monitor version!
  • Daily Burn. I use this to log my workouts and weight daily – it helps me keep track of what I’m doing and not slack off! (Well, most of the time at least). Plus it’s fun to have a place to look at everything you’ve been doing.
  • Healthy. Happy. Life. Vegan food blog. This website is AMAZING – there are sooo many great recipes for smoothies, lunches, dips, anything and everything. Such a good, healthy recipe resource.
  • How to be Positive on Social Networks This link has been making its way around every site. It’s not too relevant to this week’s topic but I think it’s a really great read either way – there are a lot of interesting points and I have been trying to implement this without realizing it since May!
  • Gmail Notes helps you remember what’s important in your saved inbox messages.
  • Along those lines…the Trusted Trio of Gmail labels. And Gmail as a journal – setting up labels and filters to record notes.
  • Lastly, one of the most inspiring blog posts I have ever read about organizing your life, Gala's Getting Organized for 2010 post. This is going to be referenced again and again – it’s so all-encompassing and full of amazing ideas!

What are your goals for the week? Day? End of summer? I can’t believe it’s already the middle of July – time to make progress on summer goals!

No comments: