Sunday, July 4, 2010

low maintenance

rotw

So, I’m starting this new feature called recipe of the week in an attempt to fix the “to food blog or not to food blog” problem I have! I’ve just moved back into the dorms for the summer/next year due to one of my jobs, so I’ll be having less time to cook (and much less convenience in cooking, unfortunately) but that won’t keep me away completely! So I give you – recipe of the week, week #1. Look for this every Sunday(ish)!

One of my absolute favorite cookbooks is Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything. I love cooking – I consider myself a good cook and am always learning. But it’s really great to have a resource like this book for the simple things, like roasting chicken or making soup. Those are the things that have a million recipes online or in books – everyone has a family variation or preference. Having a starting point (like the recipes in this book) is important! So go forth and cook, my friends :).

IMG_2096

mark bittman’s fettuccine alfredo

note: i added in frozen peas and chopped spinach since i had it laying around the apartment. this recipe does well on its own, or with any added vegetable or meat.

makes: about 4 servings
time: 30 minutes

salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter

2 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound long pasta, like linguine or spaghetti, or any other pasta
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste

Melt the butter gently. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add cook pasta until tender, but not mushy. While the pasta cooks, whisk 2 eggs with 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 cup grated Parmesan in a warmed bowl. Sprinkle with pepper. When the pasta is cooked, toss it with the cheese-egg-cream mixture, adding a little of the cooking water if necessary to keep the mixture moist. Drizzle with the butter, toss well, and serve immediately.

 

 IMG_2097

 IMG_2100

enjoy!

No comments: